It is never too soon to start thinking about the financial assistance opportunities available to you or to begin gathering the information you will need to apply for financial assistance. Our advice to you: Apply early! Scholarship and financial assistance funds are awarded to eligible students based on availability of funds, number of applicants, applicant attributes (including the student's academic profile), and timeliness of the application. Funds are limited, so we encourage you to meet all published application dates.

General Questions

Federal Work Study


Cal Grants

Outside Scholarships

General Questions

I'm thinking about dropping below 12 units. How will this affect my financial assistance package?

Financial assistance will be pro-rated to reflect the student's adjusted tuition charges. If the student drops below half time he/she becomes ineligible for Institutional aid and Federal grants and loans which will immediately go into their grace period.

What offices within AJU must be notified when a student completely withdraws from the University?

Registrar, Financial Aid Office, Accounting, Dean of the School. RLO Office if the student lives on campus

If a student's parents are planning to file an extension on their taxes and will not have their actual taxes available until August or October, can the student still be considered for financial assistance, and, if so, how should they go about completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Yes, if tax returns are not available at the time you complete your FAFSA form, you must use estimated figures to complete and submit the form by March 2nd. Do not wait until tax returns have been filed to complete your FAFSA form. You should estimate your financial information as accurately as possible because verification may result in an estimated notification being considerably less. Federal aid will not be disbursed to the student's account until the actual taxes have been verified by a Financial Aid Director.

If the student's parents are divorced, which parent must complete the FAFSA form and provide tax information?

The custodial parent is responsible for providing his/her tax and household information.

What happens after I file the FAFSA? How does AJU receive my information?

Approximately 2 to 4 weeks after you submit your FAFSA on the web, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) by e-mail (if you provided an e-mail address) or in the mail. This report will reflect all the information you completed on the FAFSA and will enable AJU to determine your eligibility for financial assistance. AJU will receive your FAFSA data electronically if you listed our school name and school code 002741 in the "Information Release" section of your FAFSA.

What if my SAR (Student Aid Report) doesn't have American Jewish University listed as one of the schools to receive my information?

Add our American Jewish University school code (002741) to your list of schools via FAFSA on the web.

What if the federal processor sends me an unprocessed or incomplete SAR?

This usually occurs if the processor was unable to read some of the information you submitted on the FAFSA, or if it was not electronically signed. First, you should go through the form and correct or complete all of the items you are requested to verify. Second, you should make a photocopy of the correction pages. Finally, you should send the changes via FAFSA on the web or mail the original, corrected copy back to the federal processor for processing.

How does a scholarship affect a student's financial aid package?

Scholarship and grant funds provided by the University may not in themselves, or when combined with state grants, exceed the cost of tuition. The scholarship will be applied to the student's federal unmet need and any remaining scholarship money will go to reduce their loans.

Do you accept international students?

AJU attracts students from a myriad of backgrounds including students from all 50 states and over 90 countries. Due to the size of the student body, AJU enjoys a strong sense of community where students are active and involved. To support international students during their time at the American Jewish University, we offer a range of services including admission consideration, immigration support, and student orientations.

Federal Work Study

How do I go about finding a Federal Work Study job?

Please go to the Financial Aid Office to review a list of available job openings.

Are there any jobs on campus that do not require Federal Work Study?

There are some jobs available which do not require a work study award. Interested students should begin looking the first week of school, if not earlier, as these jobs fill up quickly.

Is Federal Work Study taxed?

Yes, it should be reported as income on a federal tax return or non-filer's form.

Should Federal Work Study be reported on the FAFSA?

Yes, it should be reported as student income and also as a Title IV exclusion under worksheet C.

Does the Accounting Office include Federal Work Study when calculating the amount the student will owe?


How does work study get paid to the student account?

The student may apply his/her paycheck to their student account by endorsing the payroll check to the AJU and bringing it to the Student Financial Services staff in the Accounting Office.


What are the loan limits for the Direct Stafford Loans?

$3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores, $5,500 for juniors and seniors.

What is the best method of applying for the Direct Stafford and Plus loans?

Online through the AJU website.

If a student's parent applies for the Direct Parent Plus Loan and is denied, or if the student is independent, can s/he borrow the additional Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan?

Yes, they could be eligible to borrow up to $6,000 for freshmen/sophomores and $7,000 for juniors/seniors depending on their financial aid package and financial need.

Are there alternative (private) loans available to students looking to help bridge the gap between their financial assistance package and the total cost of attendance?

Yes, there are. You can find information on private loans through the AJU website.

How long does the Entrance/Exit Loan Interview last?

Approximately one hour.

I missed the Entrance/Exit Loan Interview. What should I do?

We will not have other sessions that students can attend. But there is a way for the student to do an entrance loan counseling session on the internet. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Cal Grants

When does a student find out if they are eligible to receive the Cal Grant?

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will mail out notifications to the students in May-July. Usually, we will send out our award notifications before then and do not estimated a Cal Grant as part of the financial aid package even if we determine they are eligible to receive it. This award is not official until confirmation has been received by CSAC and we verify the student's financial information.

Are students required to complete the GPA Verification Form every year?

Students are only required to complete the GPA Verification Form initially when applying for a Cal Grant. Once they have received a Cal Grant, it will automatically be renewed each year, provided they complete the FAFSA, demonstrate need, and maintain at least a 2.00 GPA.

Outside Scholarships

How does a student go about applying for outside scholarships?

You may research scholarships on the internet at www.fastweb.com and www.finaid.org.

What should a student send us if they find out they are going to receive an outside scholarship?

A student should send Financial Aid a copy of the letter that he/she received from the granting organization. Outside scholarships will be coordinated with need-based aid.